Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Body Language vs Symbolic Language

Very interesting experiment - I really enjoyed it! 

Part 1 - Body Language

This experiment was difficult and at times frustrating. I've played charades  before for fun, trying to communicate a single phrase, idea, or object, but never by means of conversation for 15 minutes. One of the factors making it difficult to communicate with out symbolic language was my grown reliance on it. When I had a question to ask, my thoughts were of what words I would use to phrase the question, not of what body motions I would use. I had to redirect my methods of communication, therefore slowing down the process. I imagine it would have been easier, and less frustrating, if I had never used symbolic language and relied solely on body language.

My partner in this project did not understand what I was trying to say for the majority of the 15 minutes. My partner was equally frustrated as I was - though much more amused. He asked a lot of questions to guess what I was trying to say, but I think that he would not have tried so hard if he had not previously agreed to spend 15 minutes watching me flail my arms and emit grunts.

My partner would have definitely had the upper hand in communicating advanced ideas; even simple thoughts were painstaking to communicate without symbolic language. Without knowing better, the other party would most likely view me as less intelligent and inferior. I imagine there would be little or no interest in reaching out to me. In our culture, those who are deaf experience difficulty communicating with spoken language. Though they have various forms of sign language, the symbolic language is far less common than verbal languages. This must make them feel isolated from the large population who take no interest in attempting communication. 

Part 2 - Symbolic Language

Though the attempt was sincere, it was not without the occasional break of composure. This was difficult because of how impersonal and inhuman it felt. While I was trying to share thoughts that were mine, the method of communication felt alien. Also, it felt hard to be accurate with only symbolic language since its meaning can change by the way its said.

This second part greatly affected my partner. Not only did he spend the 15 minutes speaking in a reflected monotone, but his entire countenance lost embellishment. In addition, his desire to continue the conversation was almost nonexistent; I remember near the 7 minute mark my partner expressed how little fun this experiment was. 

This made me aware of how much is communicated through nonverbal language. Spoken language truly is brought to life by its accompanying gestures and tones. With only body language I felt like I was communicating inefficiently, but with only symbolic language I felt that I was communicating inaccurately. For example, when my partner said a joke I could not smile or laugh to communicate that I thought it was humorous. With only symbolic language, I was limited to saying "I think that's funny" in a contradicting tone. Though the words were correct, the bland body language spoke more powerfully than my words.

I have known individuals who have difficulty reading body language. Understanding what certain gestures mean offers more knowledge on an individual and is therefore beneficial. These subtle movements can convey unspoken information; i.e. motives, feelings. Since I cannot think of a situation where less information and knowledge is in the long run a negative, I would argue that there is no environmental condition where this ability is not a benefit.

3 comments:

  1. "Without knowing better, the other party would most likely view me as less intelligent and inferior."

    You are likely right. Good observation.

    Isn't it interesting how it is not our words but our body language which personalizes our conversations? I don't think any of us realize how much we depend upon unspoken language until we take it away.

    Can you specifically identify who has difficulty reading body language?

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that many people would see you as less intellegent and inferior because of your lack of verbal communication. As sad as it is, many people naturally or ignorantely at times , may feel that way about someone who cannot communicate efficiently or differently. My two partners had very similar responses as yours in both of the experiments. It's so interesting how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!
    Great post! I completely agree about thinking of the words to say in stead of just using body motions. It so ingrained in to each of us to talk to communicate, that when we can't its like going against the grain of nature. I agree as well with what you were saying about being viewed as less intelligent and inferior. I can see that happening - people can be very harsh when people or things don't fit their mold.

    ReplyDelete